Howland Pump and Supply Company, Inc.

Industry News

Product News

Howland Pump News & Announcements

 

Howland Pump & Supply - Malone

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE October 24, 2011

Ogdensburg, NY October 24, 2011 - Howland Pump & Supply Co., Inc., an Ogdensburg based plumbing and heating supply corporation, has reached agreement with Paul Blevins and Blevins Realty to lease a building in Malone, New York.

The building, located at 4082 State Route 11 , will enable Howland Pump & Supply Co., Inc. to expand their wholesale plumbing and heating supply business. Howland Pump & Supply will be opening their Malone location on November 1, 2011 . The business anticipates hiring three to five full-time employees.

"We are very happy to be establishing a physical presence in the Malone market. We have been servicing the area for many years from our Ogdensburg, Potsdam and Massena locations and decided that the time was right for a building of our own in Malone," said Stephen C. LaRose, Ogdensburg, President and CEO of Howland Pump & Supply Co., Inc.

"Our company was founded on service to our customers, providing high quality products, treating our employees right and support of the local communities in which we do business in," LaRose said. "We will bring those same principles with us to Malone."

The Malone business, the ninth corporate location, will join Howland Pump & Supply in Ogdensburg, Potsdam Plumbing Supply, Gouverneur Plumbing Supply, Utica Plumbing Supply, Watertown Supply Company, Massena Plumbing Supply, Oneida Plumbing Supply and Utica Plumbing Supply in Rome, New York.

The history of Howland Pump & Supply Company dates back to 1855. Babcock Pump was founded in 1855 by Mr. A. Babcock and was one of the leading manufacturing companies in Ogdensburg. In 1910, Joseph C. Howland purchased the company and changed the name in 1922 to J.C. Howland Pump Works. In 1937, the name was changed to Howland Pump & Supply by Homer Howland, the son of Joseph C. Howland. The late Ken McDonald bought into the company in 1961 and took over the business in 1971 . Ken and Dawn McDonald moved the Ogdensburg location from King Street to their current location on the Ogdensburg-Canton Road in 1984. The business expanded to Potsdam in 1976 and Gouverneur in 1983 where the late Russ McDonald was the first manager. In 1992, Gouverneur Plumbing moved to their current location on Route 11 . In 1984, the business purchased Utica Plumbing Supply and Watertown Supply Company. Watertown Supply moved to their current location on Bradley Street in 1995. Utica Plumbing moved into their new building on Whitesboro Street in 2003. In 1990, Massena Plumbing Supply was opened on the South Raquette Street location they are currently operating out of. In 1993, Oneida Supply was purchased and in 1998 the Rome operation was opened.

In November of 2010, Stephen C. LaRose, Richard P. McDonald and Timothy E. Sherry purchased the business from Dawn C. McDonald and Laura E. McDonald-Hills. McDonald is the Chief Operating Officer-Branch Operations with Sherry the Chief Operating Officer-Purchasing.